Car Accident Injuries
Car accident injuries are all too common in the congested New York area. After a crash it is essential to consult an expert car accident lawyer right away to protect your rights. Edelman, Krasin & Jaye has successfully represented motor vehicle accident victims in New York City and on Long Island since 1952. You can count on our expert services to help you navigate the complicated medical, legal, and insurance issues that follow a crash, and obtain compensation for your injuries, damaged property, lost wages and more.
Car accident injuries
In 2012, nearly 69,000 car crashes took place in New York City, involving some 129,000 vehicles. Over 80% of the accidents caused injury to drivers, passengers, or others. Sadly, 256 people were killed.
In New York State, including Nassau and Suffolk Counties on Long Island, just under 300,000 car accidents occurred in 2012. Nearly 170,000 people were injured, while over 1,100 were killed.
A wide variety of injuries can result from a car crash, including:
- Broken bones: Often a car accident may fracture arms, legs, ribs, vertebrae, and other bones. Severe pain often results, and treatment can be lengthy and expensive.
- Lacerations: Drivers and passengers may suffer deep cuts from broken glass, detached sheet metal, and unsecured objects inside the car. Emergency treatment is essential to prevent severe blood loss and other serious consequences.
- Back and neck injuries: The force of the accident may cause painful back and neck injuries to everyone inside the car. Diagnosis and treatment of such injuries is complex and costly.
- Traumatic brain injury: Even a single-car accident can lead to traumatic brain injury. Pain, suffering, and expensive treatment are likely. Even partial recovery from swelling in the brain can take years, while sometimes the damage is permanent.
- Burns: When a car crash damages the gas tank, or a vehicle collides with a truck carrying flammable substances, anyone in the vicinity may suffer serious burns. Burns are among the most agonizing of all acute injuries, and their treatment is lengthy, complicated, costly, and painful.
- Whiplash: One of the most challenging car accident injuries is whiplash, because victims may not realize immediately that their necks, spines, legs, and arms have been harmed by the force of the crash. Yet these injuries can be enormously debilitating, and permanent damage is all too common.
- Spinal cord injury: Any type of damage to the spinal cord may be devastating, causing impaired mobility, paralysis, and other disastrous outcomes. High-speed, multi-car accidents may be more likely to cause these injuries, but even a simple fender-bender can end in catastrophic, permanent pain, suffering, and disability.
- Psychological trauma: The emotional and psychological impact of a car accident may be as debilitating as physical injuries. Drivers and passengers may suffer flashbacks, post-traumatic stress disorder, and other psychological symptoms for as little as a few days or as long as the rest of their lives.
- Death: Passengers and drivers may not always survive a car accident. In some cases, emergency treatment cannot save the life of a seriously-injured victim. In other circumstances, multiple injuries and the lengthy, complicated treatments required are simply too much for a victim to withstand. Sadly, the most vulnerable victims – infants, elders, seriously ill passengers – are the most likely to succumb.
Compensation for New York auto injury
Injured victims of car accidents in New York may be able to recover compensation for a variety of losses, both financial and otherwise. Because Edelman, Krasin & Jaye has successfully represented New York car accident victims for many decades, we can provide expert guidance in this complicated area of the law.
Those injured in a car accident can incur a variety of losses, including past and future medical expenses, lost income (past and future), and property damage. In addition to these monetary damages, seriously injured victims may recover a financial award for their pain and suffering.
A parent or child of someone killed in a car accident may be eligible to recover for losing the victim’s financial support and services (past and future), loss of companionship (spousal or parental), loss of familial services (for example, child care and household management provided by a stay-at-home parent), emotional pain and suffering, and funeral expenses.
There are several ways that victims can obtain compensation for their losses. Sometimes it may be necessary to file a car accident lawsuit to gain a recovery. The NYC & Long Island car accident lawyers at Edelman, Krasin & Jaye can help evaluate whether a lawsuit is required.
Common causes of car accidents
Car accidents can be caused by a number of different factors, which can affect the decision about how to pursue compensation for injuries. The driver may be negligent, or driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or distracted by a cell phone or passenger.
In other situations, a car may contain defective parts, or its maintenance may have been substandard, contributing to the accident. In these cases, the manufacturer, dealer, or mechanic may bear some responsibility.
In some cases New York State, Nassau or Suffolk County, or the City of New York may have failed to maintain a road, intersection, or traffic light. If car accidents have occurred in the past on a particular stretch of roadway, and the state or city has failed to make it safe to travel, drivers and passengers may be able to obtain compensation for their injuries from the entity responsible for road maintenance. When road maintenance was performed in a substandard fashion, leading to a car crash, the maintenance company and/or its government employer may be liable for compensating the injured party.
Determining the cause or causes of a car accident is often difficult, especially when serious injuries are the result. The veteran attorneys at Edelman, Krasin & Jaye work closely with professional car accident investigators who can help establish precisely what caused the crash. We consult expert physicians to evaluate the severity of victims’ injuries, explain any permanent disabilities that the accident may have caused, and describe the treatment that is likely to be necessary in the future. We work as a team to understand the car accident, its causes, and the resulting losses.
NY car accident attorneys at EKJ Law can help
If you have been involved in a car accident in New York City or on Long Island, or if a member of your family has been hurt or killed, we encourage you to consult our personal injury lawyers to discuss your legal options. You may contact us for an initial consultation at no charge and without any obligation on your part by calling (800) 469-7429 or (516) 742-9200. At Edelman, Krasin & Jaye, we are on your side — our success is your success.
- NY State Department of Motor Vehicles, Summary of Motor Vehicle Crashes, Statewide Statistical Summary 2012, http://dmv.ny.gov/sites/default/files/legacy_files/statistics/2012nys.pdf
- NY State Department of Motor Vehicles, Summary of New York City Motor Vehicle Crashes 2012, http://dmv.ny.gov/sites/default/files/legacy_files/statistics/2012nyc.pdf