New York Accident Guide
Knowing what to do after a car accident is absolutely essential when it comes to protecting your rights to compensation for injuries sustained. Though the aftermath of a serious collision is always disorienting and overwhelming, taking the right steps to preserve evidence and document your injuries can make all the difference to the outcome you are able to achieve.
Since our earliest beginnings in 1952, the New York car accident lawyers of Edelman, Krasin & Jaye have been guiding victims through the complex process of seeking the compensation they deserve while providing an unmatched level of personal service.
According to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, nearly 300,000 vehicle crashes occurred in 2012 alone, with nearly 125,000 of them resulting in personal injury or death.
It is important for all motorists to realize that the actions they take in the minutes, hours and weeks following an accident can have a tremendous impact on their ability to receive the financial compensation they are likely to need in order to heal.
Steps to take after a car accident in New York
- Contact law enforcement authorities. If you are able, get in immediate contact with the local police so that an accident report can be filed.
- Take care to prevent involved vehicles from being moved until the police instruct otherwise. Try to keep all cars in the positions they were in at the point of impact, unless they are creating a traffic hazard. If the vehicles absolutely must be moved, see if you can snap some photos of the scene before doing so.
- Do your best to speak to any eyewitnesses on the scene. Gathering witness statements can be critical to establishing fault or negligence on the part of the other driver, and it is therefore important to document what others may have seen and secure names and contact information for future use.
- Collect all other drivers’ insurance information, including carrier name, policy number and the like.
- Never make verbal admissions of responsibility. No matter what happens, do not assume the blame for the collision, even if you are unsure as to what exactly happened. Statements of fault made by you will certainly be used as leverage by insurers in any ensuing dispute.
- While your impressions of the events are fresh in your mind, jot down some notes about what occurred.
- Immediately contact your insurer and notify the company of the accident. Given that New York is a no-fault state, your insurance carrier will bear the cost of any medical treatment you need following the collision.
- Heed all medical advice provided by your doctor. If you receive any prescription medications, be sure to take them as directed. If physical therapy is ordered, follow through with it completely. Keep notes and records of the treatments you receive.
- Keep detailed notes of all days of work missed and wages lost due to medical appointments, incapacity or other effects of your injuries.
- Do not negotiate with an insurance adjuster until you have consulted with an experienced injury attorney who has successfully handled a large volume of auto accident cases.
Common causes of auto accidents in NY
Serious automobile accidents happen for numerous reasons, though some are more commonly seen than others.
Among the most typical causes of car accidents in New York are:
- Excessive speed
- Distracted driving
- Driving while impaired
- Driver fatigue
- Improper turns
The attorneys at Edelman, Krasin & Jaye have decades of experience with every type of automobile accident and understand what it takes to demonstrate driver negligence in each of these circumstances. When driver error, miscalculation or carelessness causes serious harm to others, we feel it is our duty to help hold the responsible parties accountable.
Potential compensation in New York car accident lawsuits
Given the devastating impact of auto accidents in Long Island and throughout NYC, enlisting the aid of attorneys with a long track record of successful car accident lawsuit verdicts and settlements is essential.
At Edelman, Krasin & Jaye, we are committed to marshaling key evidence, securing sound eyewitness and expert testimony and building the strongest possible arguments on behalf of our clients. For that reason, we have cultivated a vast network of medical consultants, case investigation professionals, economic loss experts and support staff, all of whom stand ready to advocate on your behalf.
Our team will fight for your right to receive compensation for losses including:
- Present and future medical bills
- Physical therapy costs
- Accessibility modifications to the home
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Loss of consortium
To stand the best chance of securing the financial recovery you deserve, you need the assistance of a seasoned New York car accident lawyer. At Edelman, Krasin & Jaye, we possess the knowledge, strategies and skill necessary to negotiate with insurance carriers and, when such discussions do not yield sufficient compensation, argue your case before a jury.
How a New York car accident lawyer can help
There is no denying that how you react in the immediate aftermath of a car accident can have a real impact on your ultimate recovery. Perhaps the most important step you can take, however, is to get in touch with a team of legal professionals who have dedicated their careers to protecting the rights of injury victims across New York and Long Island.
The NY personal injury lawyers at Edleman, Krasin & Jaye offer a no-charge initial consultation to discuss the merits of your case and explain your legal options in detail. Call us at 800-469-7429 to begin your process of healing.
- New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, Summary of Motor Vehicle Crashes - 2012 Statewide Statistical Summary, http://dmv.ny.gov/sites/default/files/legacy_files/statistics/2012nys.pdf
- New York Times, Traffic Fatalities in City Increased in 2012, but Officials Point to Larger Picture, http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/19/nyregion/more-traffic-fatalities-in-new-york-city-in-2012.html