Long Island Birth Injury Lawyer
When the joyous anticipation of pregnancy turns to sadness and anger in the aftermath of a serious injury to your newborn, the birth injury lawyers Long Island trusts most are ready to provide the expertise and experience necessary to obtain justice for your family.
Sadly, birth injuries of various types affect roughly 7 out of every 1,000 births in the United States, and the impact of these events can often be devastating and life-long in nature. We at Edelman, Krasin & Jaye want to assure parents of children affected by serious birth injuries that they are not alone.
Our careers have been dedicated to serving individuals who have been harmed by the negligence of others, and we stand prepared to guide you through the process of securing the financial recovery your family needs.
There are few experiences in life more painful than watching a newborn or growing infant attempt to cope with a serious injury suffered at the time of birth. Parents who find themselves in the midst of this situation often feel helpless and uncertain as to where they can turn for help.
While the law does provide remedies and the potential for financial compensation in the event their child’s injuries were caused by medical negligence, there are definitive time limits for filing a Long Island medical malpractice lawsuit. Attorneys at Edelman, Krasin & Jaye have decades of experience assisting parents during this overwhelming time and providing the answers they need in order to make critical decisions about their families’ futures.
Types of outcomes giving rise to birth injury lawsuits
Every labor and delivery process is different, but there are certain types of birth injuries that occur with unfortunate frequency. While some injuries sustained during the birthing process are relatively minor and tend to resolve on their own accord, the more serious events and resulting conditions that often merit legal action include:
- Cerebral palsy
- Brain injury due to hypoxia
- Spinal cord damage
- Brachial plexus injury
- Erb’s palsy
- Bone fractures
- Umbilical cord strangulation
- Internal bleeding
At Edelman, Krasin & Jaye, not only do we have decades of proven experience in skillful handling of NY birth injury lawsuits, we have cultivated an unrivaled network of case investigators, nursing consultants, medical experts and support staff able to thoroughly analyze records, establish the specifics of the injuries sustained and marshal the evidence necessary to mount the most effective arguments possible on behalf of our clients.
Common causes of actionable birth injuries
Though birth is an everyday part of life all over the globe, the fact remains that pregnancy and labor require diligent attention and precise monitoring by medical professionals. Healthcare providers are under an obligation to adhere to the accepted standards of care during these times, and divergence from those standards can result in serious birth injuries, permanent harm and ultimately, medical malpractice claims.
Acts and omissions that commonly lead to debilitating birth injuries include:
- Failure to identify changes in the condition of the fetus
- Improper or excessive use of Pitocin
- Insufficient monitoring of fetal heart rate
- Failure to diagnose complications such as placental abruption, umbilical cord entanglement or infection
- Lack of communication and coordination with other medical staff
- Delay in calling for C-section delivery
If you suspect that your child’s disability or medical condition is the result of a doctor or other healthcare provider’s failure to follow the accepted standard of care during labor or delivery, the Long Island medical malpractice attorneys at Edelman, Krasin & Jaye can help in your quest for the truth. From the firm’s earliest beginnings in 1952, we have been achieving successful outcomes for clients fighting for the rights of their children.
Selecting the right New York birth injury attorneys
When it comes to choosing a lawyer to handle your child’s birth injury case, the options can seem overwhelming. However, there are several important traits that every parent should seek in a birth injury attorney, including:
- Proven record of handling medical malpractice cases
- Demonstrable success in securing compensation for injured clients
- Individualized attention and consistent communication
- Experience at all stages of litigation, from discovery, to settlement negotiation and onward to trial (if necessary)
- Access to, and relationships with knowledgeable, reputable medical experts
At Edelman, Krasin & Jaye, our team of attorneys and support staff work together to meet and exceed the above criteria on a daily basis. We have a substantial history of securing favorable outcomes for injured clients throughout New York City and Long Island, and have the resources and commitment required to continue in that same tradition.
Clients can reach us at any time, day or night, to ask questions, get status updates or express concerns.
We pledge to maintain an unwavering focus on fighting to obtain the financial recovery your child deserves, including payment for:
- Present and future medical bills
- Ongoing physical, speech and occupational therapy
- Accessibility modifications for the home
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Educational costs
Birth injury lawyers Long Island relies on
The Long Island personal injury attorneys of Edelman, Krasin & Jaye are ready and willing to take forceful and decisive action on your behalf, including:
- Securing all hospital documentation and prenatal records pertaining to your child’s birth
- Providing you with a sympathetic, yet strategic place to vent your frustration and formulate a proactive stance
- Evidence gathering, compiling expert opinions and organizing an effective, comprehensive argument
- Standing firm in pre-trial negotiations
- Providing unrivaled trial advocacy, should resolution not be achieved at an earlier stage
If your child has been the victim of a serious birth injury resulting from medical negligence, the road ahead is likely to pose major challenges, both emotionally and financially. You may be wondering how you will ever be able to provide the type of ongoing care and treatment your child’s condition may require. Fortunately, help is within reach.
Edelman, Krasin & Jaye invite you to schedule a no-cost case evaluation with our Long Island birth injury attorneys by calling 800-469-7429. We will conduct a thorough review of the facts of your case and explain your options with candor and care. As always, we accept injury cases on a contingency basis, meaning that you owe nothing unless we obtain a financial recovery.
- Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project, Potentially Avoidable Injuries to Mothers and Newborns During Childbirth, 2006, http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb74.jsp
- Stanford Children's Health, Birth Injury, http://www.stanfordchildrens.org/en/topic/default?id=birth-injury-90-P02340