New York Criminal Defense Lawyer
Since 1952, Edelman, Krasin & Jaye have been defending the rights of those accused of breaking the law. Regardless of the charges, we firmly believe that every defendant deserves a fair trial with an experienced and committed criminal defense lawyer. Call to learn more about how we can help.
We defend all criminal charges including:
Anyone who has ever found themselves in the unenviable position of facing criminal charges will attest to the invaluable role a skilled New York criminal defense lawyer can play. When fear, confusion and uncertainty take hold, an experienced attorney can provide the perspective and professional guidance these serious situations require. At Edelman, Krasin & Jaye, we understand what is at stake when allegations of criminal wrongdoing are lodged against you, and we stand ready to work to achieve the most favorable outcome possible on your behalf.
Consequences of criminal convictions
No matter what type of criminal charges you are facing, the potential disruption a conviction can bring to your life and the lives of your loved ones is significant.
Depending on the crimes with which you are charged, being found guilty can result in:
- Substantial monetary fines
- Restitution obligations
- Harm to personal and familial relationships
- Damage to your reputation in the community
- Loss of professional and other licenses
To say that your life is on the line may seem like something of an exaggeration, but there is no denying that the outcome of any criminal charge can have lasting implications for your future. For that reason, when you find yourself charged with a crime, it is vital that you seek the assistance of a criminal defense lawyer with a track record of success in New York and across Long Island. The attorneys of Edelman, Krasin & Jaye have been providing compassionate, yet aggressive representation in criminal matters for decades and will tirelessly fight for the outcome you desire.
Importance of an aggressive legal defense
Law enforcement agencies and prosecutors throughout New York and Long Island are vigilant in their quest to rid their jurisdictions of crimes of all types. While this is certainly an admirable and essential stance, it should never be permitted to undermine the rights and constitutional protections afforded each and every citizen. In 2013 alone, New York City saw 111,335 arrests in the seven major felony offense categories and 359,350 arrests for misdemeanor offenses.
It stands to reason that many of the individuals charged with those crimes could have benefited greatly from the advice of experienced criminal defense attorneys and improved their legal outcomes markedly. A recent report produced by the American Civil Liberties Union revealed that there are over 3,200 individuals in the United States currently serving life sentences without the possibility of parole due to convictions for nonviolent offenses. While those cases may not be the norm, they do illustrate the need for those charged with serious crimes to seek the best defense attorneys possible to prevent devastating harm from occurring.
When criminal charges are filed, you are likely to feel a combination of emotions ranging from anger, anxiety and bewilderment. This is the time when it is vital to remember that charges alone are not the same as a conviction, and in no way has your fate been determined. However, this is also not the time to go it alone. Securing talented, knowledgeable legal representation is often the best way to avoid or at least mitigate the negative impact your predicament has on your life and your family’s future. At Edelman, Krasin & Jaye, we take great pride in the fact that we provide clients with honest, accessible advocacy at every stage in the process. You can rest assured knowing that we can be reached any time of the day or night to answer questions or address concerns.
Common criminal charges and defense strategies
With our decades of experience providing zealous criminal defense representation, the attorneys of Edelman, Krasin & Jaye have the ability to build a customized approach to each matter we undertake. We analyze the facts of your arrest and the charges filed against you and develop a strategy suited specifically to the crime at issue.
- DWI: we diligently work to challenge the legitimacy of the traffic stop in question, the accuracy of sobriety testing and any blood testing used to support the charges
- Drug charges: our team will pursue wrongful search and seizure theories where applicable, explore the possibility that entrapment may have occurred and investigate issues of ownership and control of the substances in question
- Violent crimes: we investigate every aspect of the facts underlying your arrest, explore whether or not you were properly informed of your rights at the time of arrest and questioning, and analyze witness statements and medical records
- Sex charges: we will enlist the aid of DNA experts, forensic experts and psychologists and thoroughly investigate all witness statements to identify inconsistencies and weaknesses
- Traffic tickets: we explore potential problems with the initial stop, procedural flaws, witness statements and surveillance camera evidence, when available
Finding the right New York criminal defense lawyer
When it comes to defending yourself against criminal charges in New York, having the right team of lawyers behind you is key. Many aspects of your future and that of your loved ones can hinge on the outcome of your case, and that is why you need to be selective when hiring your attorneys.
To find the best criminal defense lawyer in NY it pays to look for professionals who:
- Have a demonstrable track record defending clients against a range of criminal charges
- Are familiar with the specific court where your case is proceeding and the judge handling it
- Regularly undertake continuing education on matters pertaining to criminal law
- Have a thorough understanding of the potential ancillary effects of conviction, including loss of professional licenses, driving privileges, legal residency status and the like
- Are skilled in challenging both substantive issues and procedural issues alike
- Shows a willingness to communicate honestly with you at any time
The criminal defense lawyers of Edelman, Krasin & Jaye meet and exceed all of these criteria and pledge to go above and beyond to provide an unrivaled level of advocacy, work to ensure that your rights are protected and seek the most positive resolution possible.
New York criminal defense attorneys at EKJ Law
At Edelman, Krasin & Jaye, we are guided by our belief that our client’s success is our success. The charges you are facing have likely left you shaken, frightened and wondering which way to turn. Allow us to help bring clarity and perspective to the situation by explaining your options in a straightforward, knowledgeable way. For a no-charge initial consultation and case evaluation, call us at 1-800-469-7429.
- New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services, Criminal Justice Statistics, http://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/crimnet/ojsa/stats.htm
- Police Department - City of New York, Historical New York City Crime Data, http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/analysis_and_planning/historical_nyc_crime_data.shtml
- American Civil Liberties Union, More Than 3,200 Serving Life Without Parole for Nonviolent Offenses, Finds ACLU, https://www.aclu.org/criminal-law-reform/more-3200-serving-life-without-parole-nonviolent-offenses-finds-aclu