Choosing the correct lawyer is an integral part of ensuring that you get a fair trial. The lawyer working for you must be someone you trust and believe in 100 percent. Most of the time that is the case. However, if you feel that you have the wrong lawyer for you and your case, or if you are dissatisfied with your current one, you have the right to switch lawyers during your case without any additional cost to you.
Common Reasons to Switch Lawyers During a Case
- A tense or deteriorating relationship, being disrespectful
- Unprofessional, unethical, incompetent, dishonest
- Stalled progress on the case
- Disagreement over the direction of the case
- Failure to achieve a fair settlement offer or agreement
- Lacking diligence, communication, and fails to provide adequate information on your case
- Not confident, empathetic, or compassionate to your needs
If You’re Experiencing Problems with your Lawyer
- The first thing you should try is talking with your lawyer to work it out, but if you are still unhappy, you can terminate your agreement and hire a new lawyer.
- Suppose you decide to change representation before your case is resolved. In that case, your prior attorney may be entitled to a portion of the legal fee once the case resolves. This change will require no additional payout from you.
- Suppose you believe your lawyer has wrongfully taken your money or property. In that case, you can apply for reimbursement from the Lawyer’s Fund for Client Protection here.
- Have the next lawyer lined up and ready to take over your case. This prevents unnecessary delays or even a possible case dismissal due to missed deadlines.
- Your new attorney will also prepare a “stop work” letter to your previous attorney. This directs that attorney to stop working on your case and forward the case file to your new attorney.
You are not stuck with a bad attorney because you signed a contract. Many people want to switch lawyers in the middle of their cases but are afraid it will cost them extra or hurt their case. Rest assured, changing lawyers does not cost you anything more or reduce the share you will receive in a successful trial outcome or negotiated settlement.
We Are Here to Help
Firing your lawyer is your right. If you need to switch lawyers in the middle of your case, contact professional attorneys to represent you at Edelman, Krasin, & Jaye, PLLC. We offer more than 60 years of combined experience. We have convenient office locations in Long Island, Brooklyn, and the Bronx, and we know how to approach these cases to get the results you need. Our firm is committed to bringing the compensation you deserve. Contact our New York offices by phone at 800-469-7429 to schedule an appointment. You can also contact us using our online contact form and our Live Chat application on our website to have your questions answered.