In a personal injury case, having a witness testimony can impact the outcome of your case. The witness’s role is to provide their truthful account of what they saw in the incident in question. Their impartial testimony can help the judge or jury decide who was responsible for your injury. The witness should be contacted immediately not to forget what they have seen. They may be able to tell you something useful—such as the fact that a dangerous condition has caused the accident.
Two Types of Witnesses Can Contribute to Personal Injury Cases
Importance of Lay Witnesses
Lay witnesses or people in the surrounding area can testify what they observed before, during, or after the injury-occurring event. What a witness sees may indicate that someone else was at fault.
Importance of Expert Witnesses
Expert witnesses have specialized knowledge, experience, or training in a particular area relevant to your injury case. Expert witnesses may provide hypothetical scenarios to explain the injury’s events and prove your case. This witness testimony is essential in a trial because it allows the jury with specialized knowledge to better understand the case issues and elements.
A few examples of expert witnesses include:
- Accident Reconstruction Specialists
- Highway Safety Experts
- Medical Providers
- Forensic Toxicologists
- Mental Health Experts
- Vocational Rehabilitation Experts
Contacting a Witness
- Police may provide you with the names of people in the area that day. Write down witnesses’ names, addresses, and home, work, and cell phone numbers.
- Once you contact the witnesses, make sure you ask their permission to write down an account of what they saw that day. Talk with witnesses about what they saw and ask exactly where they were when they saw it.
- Ask them to write up an account of what happened for you to provide in court or to the insurance company. If necessary, you can later write up a statement and have them sign it.
Whomever the witnesses are in your injury case, including family, friends, strangers, or experts in a particular area, the witnesses’ importance to your case can not be underestimated.
We are here to help
If you or a loved one has been injured and looking for eyewitnesses to support your case, contact professional attorneys to represent you. At Edelman, Krasin, & Jaye, PLLC, we offer more than 60 years of combined experience. We have convenient office locations in Long Island, Brooklyn, and the Bronx, and we know how to approach these cases to get the results you need. Our firm is committed to bringing the compensation you deserve. Contact our New York offices by phone at 800-469-7429 to schedule an appointment. You can also contact us using our online contact form and on our Live Chat application on our website to have your questions answered at any time.