Rusty drivers, speeders due to New York’s shelter-in-place order pose a danger

If you have been laid off from your job due to the COVID-19 pandemic and New York’s shelter-in-place order, or if you are lucky enough to be able to do your job from home, you are probably not driving much these days. Without the usual commute, and with things like movie theaters, malls and restaurants closed, there just are not many places to go in your vehicle.

Eroding driving skills

So if you are an essential worker who is still driving to your job, or if you are making a trip to the grocery store, you should be aware that many of the motorists around you may be driving for the first time in a week — if not longer. Driving is a skill that most of us learned years ago. Someone who keeps their car in the garage for a few months won’t completely forget how to drive. But in a moment that requires a fast reaction, they may not have the instincts or ability to visually take in the scene that they usually do.

Speeding down the road

Open roads, and the temptation to speed, are other consequences of the lockdown. With less traffic than usual, many drivers are far exceeding the speed limit. Police throughout the New York area are reporting speeders and drag racers on major thoroughfares like the Bronx River Parkway and the New York State Thruway, where one driver was caught going over 100 mph.

While the roads are emptier than usual, there are still essential workers and others using them. There is no excuse for treating a public highway or road as a racetrack and causing a terrible auto accident as a result.

Getting compensated after a car accident

It would not be surprising to learn that, despite the reduction in traffic, the number of car accidents in New York and Long Island stayed about the same or even went up. Whether you were hit by an out-of-practice driver, a speeder, or someone who was simply acting negligently, your injuries could be severe. To find out what options you have for the fullest financial compensation possible, consult a personal injury lawyer in your area.